100 years ago
The planning was nearly complete this week in 1918 for a community cook book in which the women of Bonneville County would share their wartime recipes. Under the supervision of Miss Bullock, the women’s agent for the county, the project was arousing much interest at the meetings that were being held around the county. Members of the Riverdale Auxiliary were planning to meet Aug. 8, with demonstrations to be given on various wheatless and sugarless recipes. Mrs. Emery Owen offered a recipe for a wheatless, sugarless, milkless and eggless cake that featured syrup, seeded raisins, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves and barley or rice flour. When substituting syrup for sugar, decrease the amount of liquid 1/4 cup for every cup of syrup used, she advised.
75 years ago
Mr. and Mrs. Henry Everett of Idaho Falls were diligently trying to get more news about their son, Pvt. Kent Everett, after receiving several letter from people telling them they’d heard a broadcast from Tokyo with news he was being held as a prisoner of war there. Reports were that Pvt. Stanley J. Paluch stated on the broadcast that Everett was one of his fellow prisoners, and that he’d asked Paluch to relay the news that he was well and would like to hear from them. The couple later received a letter from their son dated Dec. 19, 1942, saying he was eager for a letter from them. Everett attended school in Ucon and had been in the service for six years, most recently as a dispatcher with the Army Air Corps.
50 years ago
All available crews from the city of Idaho Falls electrical utility and fire department were occupied the night of July 29, 1968, with repairing damage from a severe electrical storm that blacked out half the city for several hours. The heaviest blow came when lightning hit a power pole on Sunnyside Road near the intersection with South Yellowstone Highway. The fire went unnoticed until the pole burned through, causing the city’s 44,000-volt line to drop across a Utah Power & Light line from the Goshen substation. Power was restored by 9 p.m.
25 years ago
The Idaho Falls Zoo at Tautphaus Park gained two new denizens this week in 1993, a pair of giant tortoises, one weighing 600 pounds and the other 450. “We may have the largest Aldabra tortoise in captivity,” Zoo Superintendent Bill Gersonde said. Crews had to use a backhoe and sling to put the bigger tortoise into its exhibit, but were able to lift the lighter one by hand.
Paul Menser is the author of “Legendary Locals of Idaho Falls.”